Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tell Him that God Doesn't Hate Him

Hi, This one I am sure you will be able to help with. My son suffers with Crohns disease, he was diagnosed at six, although he has had it since just a year old. He is now 12. We have been to the hospital today because he hasnt been feeling so weel recently and it looks like the disease may have spread. There have been so many times I have been so angry, why my child? what did he do wrong? He is now reaching adolesance and is feeling the same thing, I dont know how to answer him when he asks me why he has this incurable disease, and I cannot blame him for turning his back on Christ because i did do the same thing, although i found my way back. My question is, how do I explain that God doesnt hate him, and God isnt punishing him by giving him this illness? And any ideas on what answer I can give when he asks me why?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell him that there is a reason that is unknown to you for his illness. He(GOD) has a journey for your son. Maybe you don't know how just yet to tell him the why, but you know how to tell him God loves him because he gave his son Jesus to die for our sins. How much more love could God have for him. Tell him not to be angry but to rejoice even when he is in pain. Because he has a new day that God has given him and life is so much better to live when you realize it. There is a reason for all of us who are sick and can not be cured. Maybe it is to teach others the true value of our walk in faith.

Cristi said...

I didnt realize your son was sick too. Gosh sometimes it feels like we are called to bear more than we can. But God is the one who holds us up and walks with us. He does carry us when we cant carry on. He has done it before and he will do it again. Your son just needs to know of Gods love and that God is the one we are to turn to when we need help. I am sure he knows that from watching his parents. God Bless!

Cristi said...

Or did I misunderstand and that question wasnt really your question but was submitted by someone else. if so sorry, but same answer applies! :)

Koryn H said...

I had the same thoughts when diagnosed with cancer 7 months ago. God opened my eyes to His word. In John 9 there is a story of a man born blind. The Pharisees asked Jesus why this man was born blind - "was it because of his sin or of his parent's sin?" I even took this to mean our sin-nature - the fall of man passed down to us and all that. Jesus' reply said it all:
"It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but(E) that the works of God might be displayed in him." So I hope that your son can allow Jesus to be seen in him, by his trust, his acceptance of his disease and with receiving the comfort and peace that only Jesus can give to him. It will show to all who are witnesses of his struggle and perhaps turn their eyes to The Lord. I know this is hard for a 12 year old to underdstand...it is hard for a 45 year old to understand too! But I keep my eyes on His words and meditate on them.
God Bless you!
Koryn
http://motherspreciousgems.wordpress.com

Warren Baldwin said...

Tough question. I don't know if you can answer it for him at this age. I think I would just sympathize with him and say, "I know, it is so hard. I wonder, too. I'm just so glad that one day God will give us a new body." God bless.